Monday, October 24, 2011

Oh How I Love My Family :)

“Family: A social unit where the father is concerned with parking space, the children with outer space, and the mother with closet space.”
- Evan Esar





I love my family so so much. My amazing dad Brian, my caring mom Deidra, my stud of a brother Augmon, and my precious sister Hydee. They all mean so much to me. 


I didn't always love my family as much as I do now though. Like every teenager I went through the phase where I thought I had the most embarrassing dysfunctional family alive. I hated being in public with them! Everyone who's been through that will know what I mean. Thankfully, I don't feel that way anymore. Now, I just feel so blessed that I have such a wonderful family. 


Let me start off with a little description of my family. All around, we're a really laid back family who like to have fun. My parents are usually pretty cool (might have to do with the fact that they got to be teenagers in the 80's) about most stuff and they're always letting us have parties and friends over and all that jazz. First off we have my dad (whom I dedicated a post too earlier this year for father's day). He is obvious the head of the household. My dad is a pretty funny guy and a great cook when it comes to bbq, dutch oven, and breakfasts. My mom is great. I think she acts more like a teenager then I do. But she's everything anyone could want in a mom. Always making us after school snacks and making time to cook delicious meals even though she has one hectic schedule. My brother is a stud. That's all I can say. My sister is so cute and probably going to be the rebellious one of the family, but she's so sweet.


My family and I share so many memories. Everything from camping trips, to game nights, to just sitting around and watching tv together. One time, on a camping trip, my dad made us the best homemade toilet. We were in an area with no toilets and we (the girls) sure weren't going to squat every time we had to pee, so my dad took 3 branches and formed them into a triangular shape, found/built a little area out of rocks with a hole in the middle where he placed the triangle and that was our toilet for the weekend. 


Another memory was just recently when we were taking family pictures. My mom thought it'd be cute to take one sitting on a fence, only thing was we weren't sitting on the thin edge but the side that showed the most wood so it was kind of like a bench only 2 feet off the ground. Both my brother and I knew it would break and despite our objections, we did it anyway and wouldn't you believe it, the board broke. My brother caught my sister and was lucky enough to land on his feet, my mom and dad both fell (with my dad resulting in a scratch from a nail) and I kinda just stumbled down. My pants got caught on a nail and not only ripped my pants, but gave me a scratch..on my butt. We were all laughing so hard after it happened I was pretty sure someone was going to pee their pants.


One year for Christmas, my dad got the Lord of the Rings Extended dvd's so we spent all of Christmas day and night having a LOTR marathon. It was so much fun! We paused only for dinner. My dad made us homemade popcorn and we ate all our candy. We snuggled up in the blankets and pillows my mom had made us. Life was good.


Finally, my most favorite and reoccurring memory is when we are all home, sitting in front of our big screen watching a show or movie. (When I lived at home, we usually all watched Vampire Diaries, The Big Bang, Legend of the Seeker, or whatever movies we had recorded on our dvr). I know it sounds lazy, but it's something that we all do together that we all enjoy and have fun. 

Being a good 300 miles away from my family makes me realize how much I actually love them and miss them. I love going home, but hate when I have to leave because I don't get to see them for another couple of months, maybe even longer depending on my college student budget at that time. But I am so grateful for my family even if we're crazy and dysfunctional. None of that even matters. All that does matter is that we are a strong unit, which we are. I'm very lucky to have the relationship I do with my family because there are a ton of people who aren't as lucky with their families. I have it made when it comes to my family. I love them so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment